Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Evil Puppy Haters

How do you let tainted pet food out on the market in such mass quantities? Over the past few weeks, I have logged onto the interweb religiously and checked the recall lists before giving my beloved Ophie Marie so much as a morsel. She is hungry. I live in constant fear.

The pet food recall terrifies people. Animal lovers can related to the pain and guilt that they see in the eyes of unfortunate pet owners in the paper. They understand that, intentional or not, these innocent people believe that they have poisoned what might often be their closest companion. Mourning, suffering, weeping. Harming your baby, the one that you have sworn to protect and care for, scars the soul.

Now, it is time to get angry. The companies that carelessly sent huge batches of this tainted food to market need to understand what suffering is. In most states, laws could only hold the responsible companies liable for the price of the murdered pet. But, in this age of mega-corporations and lightening fast communication, we can bring them to their knees.

Trace the pet food back to its origin. As corporations have grown into massive entities that produce myriads of products, a boycott of all products makes a company notice. I want an across the board boycott of Hill-Lab Products Inc. that lasts until they personally apologize to each pet owner that they harmed. I want to know exactly what they will do to ensure that this will never happen again.

I want, more than anything, a sense of security back for my Ophie Marie. I want to happily hand her a treat with confidence as she wags her little tail. I want vindication for the pet owners who won't experience that joy with their babies again.

No comments: