Tuesday, April 10, 2007

And So It Begins...

I never really thought that I would admire Bill McClellan this much. But, last week, he wrote what every St. Louisian should be asking, "why exactly are we closing Highway 40?" I have not spoken with one person who thinks that this a good idea. Obviously, neither has Mr. McClellan. So, if it seems the entire city is against it, why is it happening?

In December, I hosted a luncheon for the Gateway Mayors Emeritus on behalf of my benevolent employer. A brave soul from MoDot spoke to the former dignitaries about the plan. Even in a room where the audience understands the need for infrastructure improvements and the constant headache of running a municipality, he stunned the crowd by announcing that 40 was closing one way or another. "Get used to it," he said.

I own property in the city. I work deep in the county. I learn somewhere a bit south of that. So, sir, I am not getting used to it. I am getting angry.

Who benefits from this closure? Not anyone interested in the integration of the city of St. Louis. By shutting down the pipeline that allows ideas and money to flow freely across the region, we regress. This is the opposite of progress, folks.

For decades now, visionaries like Joe Edwards have fought to revitalize the historic neighborhoods that once made St. Louis a center of culture and commerce. I doubt that many Chesterfieldians will head down the check out the bustling nightlife on Washington Avenue if it takes two hours to drive there. These areas were meant to serve the entire metropolitan area. Only those bold enough to have forsaken the suburbs for these urban enclaves will support the restaurants, museums, clubs and other venues. As it takes serious money to keep these places running, they will close.

St. Louis, as a whole, will suffer. The limbs of a tree can not flourish if the trunk dies. By 2010, St. Louis will have a great infrastructure. Less will be left to see and fewer people will go to see it. Phenomenal planning.

No comments: